Thursday, July 08, 2021

The Thunder Rolls and the lightning strikes

A line from a song from Garth Brooks....... 

That is what is happening as I write this, pouring hard with rain, a cats and dogs downpour and the thunder and lightning is all around us.   The forecast is the for same for most of the day.   It is down right cold  too, well not cold just feels  a lot cooler after the uncomfortable high temps and humidity we have had for the past few days.  We need the rain, so not complaining, actually it is making me stay inside and do  housework  When it is done going to do some quilting.

I contacted a granddaughter and granddaughter in law yesterday, as I need to buy some very very late birthday gifts for four great grans.  I missed all of their birthdays when we were in the stay at home order.  Now the stores are open and in a few days I should be fully immune, so time to look at all those cute little clothes for girls and boys.    When my children were the age of my great grans there was not much choice for really cute childrens wear, just the basic styles.    I use to make most of the clothes for my two daughters, it was a bit more difficult, for me anyway, to make boys clothes, however, he did have a lot of pj's that I made.   

My daughters did not like me much back then,   why?   I dressed them alike, it is cheaper, (money at the time was not too plentiful in those days) to buy Simplicity patterns that had several sizes in them, so I bought  several yards of different coordinating fabric and I would mix and match the yoke to the skirt pieces.   Making the same style made it easier and faster to get several garments made in a short period of time.  One would have a solid yoke and a patterned skirt and the visa versa, so both girls were not really dressed alike so to speak.

  Sewing would start  after they were all in bed and work began at the sewing machine.  I still get comments from them regarding their dresses, not all positive comments either, but it gives us something to laugh at.....memories for them and me.   Back then  I also made dresses for myself. too,    Do you, or did you make any clothes for your children  or yourself?  

At the present time I  still like sewing but, now make quilts and wall hangings. I find it relaxing  and in the long Winter months gives me something to keep busy.

Dinner last night was going to be steak on the BBQ,  however, rain put a hold on that, so we had back bacon, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli and strawberries for dessert.  The steak will be for tonight the same veg and dessert as last night.



2 comments:

  1. Happy shopping for the great grands. I never sewed regular clothes but always made the kids Halloween costumes. I don't sew at all anymore these days. Enjoy your steak dinner this evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Garth Brooks' songs. I shall be humming that one all day. Thank you :)
    I sewed a lot when my boys were young. I made their clothes until they got to the age when it wasn't cool. I sewed a bit for myself as well. Recently I dabbled in quilting but have become enamoured with yarn crafts lately and have just discovered weaving.

    ReplyDelete

Hoping it continues

 Good morning! We have sunshine again, three days in a row, and the temp is going up, just keeping the fingers crossed it will remain the sa...