Friday, April 15, 2022

Easter Bunny time

 We have a nice bright sunny day with a few dark clouds lingering on the horizon, hoping they do not contain anything to spoil the day.  

Remembering the Easter sundays when my children were young.  They always had a new outfit, which included dress, coat and hat for my two girls and pants, shirt, coat and hat for my son.  We did not go to church but, back then even if you didn't a new outfit was always purchased.  An Easter basket that was set out on Saturday night, always greeted them when they woke, now full of chocolate, skipping ropes and a kite.  They are the only things I can remember them getting.  Then we would visit both sets of Grandparents, getting more goodies and they were on a sugar high for a little while.  Each year we would alternate having dinner with one set of GP's and the next year the other.  (Have no idea what happened here).

When the Grandchildren were small, they would visit us on Easter Sunday, one year I placed small foil covered eggs in the garden,  the sun came out and it got quite warm, they ended up with a squishy mess that needed to be placed in the freezer before they could be eaten, even then it was not an ideal solution, as the foil was all though the chocolate, most of which was on their faces.  Parents were not too impressed.  Soap and water solved the problem.   Another year when they were a bit older, I bought straw hats from the Dollar store, along with some ribbons and silk flowers and they made their own Easter bonnets, it kept them busy for a long time and then we had a fashion show.  The Grandson was not too impressed with the idea though.

Oh! how I miss those day.    😢 

Not much planned for day other than dinner with my DD2 and family, saying goodbye to C as she embarks on a new adventure for her flight training.

No dinner to prepare tonight, I understand we are having roast beef with all the trimmings, sounds great.  

Have a great day.



6 comments:

  1. I remember getting a much coveted skipping rope too. Easter Dinner was always at my grandparents in Peterborough. After they were gone, all of the traditions seemed to have faded away.
    I miss my children and grands on the holidays. I can't go to them anymore and they make no effort to come here. COVID nailed that box shut once and for all I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you are not seeing your children and grands, do they all live too far away to visit?
      I know what you mean about traditions not happening anymore, same thing seems to be with all families.
      Hugs for Easter.

      Delete
  2. Easter wasn't very special when my kids were growing up but we usually dyed eggs and rolled them down the hill. Sometimes there was an Easter egg hunt in the garden and there was always something chocolate in their basket.
    Now, the family usually comes here for a leg of lamb dinner on Easter Sunday and that will thankfully happen again this year. But I have stopped hiding chocolate eggs around the house now that the grandkids are teenagers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leave all of the egg hunts to my children for their grands.
      Have a great dinner, the lamb sounds delicious.

      Delete
  3. I find the Easter memories more poignant than Christmas ones. We would go to my in-laws for Easter lunch and mother in law would have hidden eggs all around the back garden. The boys would have had an easter egg hunt at our place first so lots of chocolate and sticky fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are your plans for Easter dinner this year, if any?
      Happy Easter from Canada.

      Delete

Hoping it continues

 Good morning! We have sunshine again, three days in a row, and the temp is going up, just keeping the fingers crossed it will remain the sa...