Monday, September 21, 2020

Monday, Monday

If it was back in my Mother's day and age this would be wash day.  I am in possession of a three page note which my Grand Aunt wrote about wash day, when she was a child in England.  It was an all day affair,  this is a very very brief description of her writings.  First the wood needed to be chopped for the copper boiler, then the water gathered for the wash and rinse, fire started to boil water, clothes added, rinsed twice, starched and  hung on line to dry.   In the mean time, the water was used to was used to clean the wash house floor.  If it was a fine day all the clothes would dry, if not they were brought inside.  

In the mean time, children were still being looked after and meals being prepared.  Tuesday would be the day for ironing and airing. 

My laundry in done on Saturday when the electric is a cheaper rate, not that I can't afford it.  It all begins from when we came to Canada, Mum and Dad were starting out new, with very little possessions brought from England, we were like pioneers really and money was scarce.  A new country, experiencing the extremes in the weather and not having any relatives  to visit was difficult.  How my parents coped I do not know.

Today is a beautiful sunny day, cool but that's September for us.

Dinner tonight, not sure yet, could be hamburgers on the BBQ, beans and salad, yep that sounds nice.  Dessert, should make a crumble of some kind, I have apples.  Dinner sorted.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can't believe

Where did that time go!   I cannot believe it has been so long since I last posted.   Life gets in the way, and time just flies by. During m...