Sunday, December 19, 2021

Tree up

 I put up and decorated the small artificial tree, and place other Christmas decorations around the house.  Not very many just enough to give off a bit of Christmas spirit, even though I am not very Christmassy this year.  

Just taken out of the oven a batch of shortbread cookies,  In the past I made a recipe that involved a lot a mixing,  rolling, cutting and baking.  Then out of the oven, they cooled and then sandwiched with grape jelly in the middle of two cookies then iced and decorated.   It was a lot of work that I am not prepared to do, so I made some whipped shortbread.  Oh!  so much easier, this will be my go to recipe from now on.  Also, might add they are delicious. It was a recipe Hubby's aunt in law gave me two years ago, after she offered them to us during a visit.   Unfortunately, she had cancer with no hope of recovery, she was in her 90's.  Towards the end she was in a lot of pain and decided she had had enough and chose the day for her to depart. 

Expecting a great granddaughter to visit this afternoon so I can give her her gift.  

Will have ten, including us for Christmas dinner, and expecting the same number for Boxing Day nibbles.

Had a call last night from my niece advising me not to go and visit my sister on Monday.   Niece's daughter has been exposed to COVID and who knows if my sister and her family have been also.   The rapid test indicated positive, however, no report back from the other test, when talking to sister this morning.  My niece  has cancer, her husband has been ill for almost two years with an infection so they both have had their boosters, sister will not be able to get registered for her booster until tomorrow.   Such a mess, so sick of all this virus.   It is splitting families between those not vaxed and those who are.  Those battles will take a long time to heal, if ever.

Cloudy and cool today, no wind which is a blessing.   

Dinner, roast beef, squash and brussels, may just have a cookie for dessert.

 



2 comments:

  1. That is bad news for your sister's family, do so hope they all recover quickly. Those fancy shortbread cookies you describe we call Empire biscuits - no idea why! I used to make them but they are a lot of work. I also have a simpler recipe that is just as good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about Covid splitting people. What makes it worse (here, at least) is the governments constantly changing what we can and can't do and where we can and can't go. Your hubby's aunt was lucky to choose her day of departure. I wish that was a thing everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

All fixed and moving

 Joyce the Janome, only need a little fix, which did not take too long at the shop, so she is now back in the sewing room.  Sally the Singer...