Thursday, September 23, 2021

Rain, rain and more rain

 Yesterday, I noted it was wet, it got worse as the day wore on.   Checking the rain gauge last night at 8:30 p.m. we had 5 FIVE inches of rain, in less than 24 hours.   Today, Thursday it is still raining but, thank goodness it is just showers.   There has been flooding on low lying city streets, local roads have been closed and the river through the city is in the flood stage.   When all of the water from the streams and surrounding land funnels down to the river it will become worse.   We live at the top of an incline, so it will have to be a 40 day and 40 night rain before we get flooded.   Feel so sorry for those who have water in their basements.

I have had an enquiry about my quilt, I will have to wait to take a photo when it gets back from the quilt show.  

Gave Hubby a haircut this morning, it was getting a bit too long for his liking.  I have been doing his hair for the last 4 or 5 years and if I do say so myself, I do a pretty good job.  At least he can go out in public with out wearing a hat to cover some Oops !! .  I use to do my sons, but then the style change and he refused to let me do it.  Also did my Dad's, and late husbands too.   When we were locked down last year I tackled my own hair, it looked OK, but then we were not going anywhere so it really didn't matter what it looked like.  

Did housework and made a carrot cake yesterday, need to put the cream cheese icing on it today, ready for tomorrow's lunch after the scattering of Hubby's late sister in law.   She passed away a year ago and her sister is now scattering her ashes.  

Made an Autumn artificial flower arrangement a couple of days ago, to replace the Summer one which sits on the fireplace hearth in the living room.   It  looks good with some grapes and a couple of apples at the base of it.  All artificial.  I will take a photo and show it on the weekend.  Not a fan of silk flowers but, our living room does not have enough light to be able to keep real flowers blooming.  

Going to do an errand for my daughter in law this afternoon.  She has a cousin that lives not too far from us and DIL needs a framed picture picked up, as the cousin is moving.  DIL lives a couple of hundred miles away, so not an easy trip for her just to pick up a picture.   Eventually, she will come and pick it up when next in the area visiting her son, DIL and granddaughter and us, of course.  

Well, I should sort out dinner, so have a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my yes, 5" of rain is a LOT. We're supposed to get that much today so we'll have to wait & see. It's been gloomy & rainy all week, definitely a change from what it had been for the last several weeks. Ooooh, I love-love-love carrot cake! I don't remember the last time I had it and now that I've been diabetic for 5 years, the word "cake" is totally out of my vocabulary. But carrot and also poppy seed were two of my favorites. Enjoy. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Signs

Many years ago, in the area where I live, there battles were fought between, the English and the French, English and U. S, Native people aga...