Saturday, January 16, 2021

Better than forecast

We did receive some light rain yesterday afternoon, but none of the freezing rain or snow which was predicted.  A little more of the snow we have on the ground melted as the temp was above the zero mark all day.  The sun is trying hard to shine, so more may go today.

Hubby fixed the downstairs toilet this morning, a lot easier than he had expected, so that was a plus. When we are downstairs watching TV, I can use that loo, instead of having to run upstairs.  

Tomorrow I start administering drops in my left eye in preparation for cataract removal on Wednesday.  Another huge sum of money on this months Visa statement. I am fortunate to be able to do that.  I will submit these to my health coverage in hopes they will cover a portion of the expense.  

 Laundry washed dried and now all folded and put away.  

Writing about laundry reminds me of the laundry my Mother use to do.  Coming to Canada in the mid 1950's there were not a lot of modern convinces, and if there were my parents were not in a position to purchase them.   And, now thinking back we did not have those when we lived in England.  We had a copper boiler in which the clothes were washed.  That is another story, so will forego writing about it here and leave for another blog day.  Getting back to life in Canada on wash day.  Mum still boiled water to wash the clothes, which were in a huge pot and the rinsing had to be done in another.  Hard work when it had to be done by hand, those sheets took two of us to do it.  One twisting at one end and the other twisting in the opposite direction.  Then it all had to be hung on the line to dry.  In Summer they were almost dry before they were finished being pegged on the line.  In Winter!, that is a bit different.  The laundry would freeze even before it was on the line.  It stayed there all day, hoping the air was dry enough to get most of the moisture out.  The one thing which is imbedded in my mind  was my Father's work pants.  They were thick and heavy and never really did dry, so when they were brought into the house after being out all day, they were frozen solid and they would be propped up, stiff as a board, into the corner to thaw out and hopefully be dry enough the next day, when they would be ironed.  I cannot imagine doing that now,  life is so much easier. Memories of the "good old days",  makes one appreciate all the modern things we have today, making our lives better.  Makes me appreciate all the things I now have, as in my early years of marriage I did not have many things to make life easier.

Do you have memories of past laundry days?  Love to hear them

Dinner tonight, well, have not even given it a thought but should.

Have a great day.



2 comments:

  1. When I was in my steep back-to-the-land days, in the late 90s, I was washing our laundry by hand... using the two bucket method like your mom did. Heat water, wash in one bucket, throw clothes into second bucket of clear water, put clothes through ringer which was mounted on the fence, hand up on the line. I did this for a long time and you're so right.... a LOT of hard work. Never had to worry about getting enough exercise, that's for sure. Thanks for the memory of that! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mum had a washing machine that you had to fill with a hose, and while it did agitate , you had to put the clothes through the wringer by hand. I remember when I was about 3 years old, my older brother (he was 5) put his thumb through the wringer! He mangled it pretty good. Mum didn't get an electric 'modern' washing machine until I was at least 30! We lived in a fairly cold area over winter, and I can remember clothes hanging on the line frozen solid too.

    ReplyDelete

Hoping it continues

 Good morning! We have sunshine again, three days in a row, and the temp is going up, just keeping the fingers crossed it will remain the sa...