Saturday, May 16, 2020

Spring Tonic

I made some stewed rhubarb today, yes it does that to me,   my neighbor has a small patch in her back garden, she does not use it so I asked her if I could take some.  Hubby is not that fond of it apparently, so only a few stalks were picked. 

Years ago, when I did a lot of baking for family, I had a recipe for a Rhubarb Custard Pie,  is was delicious.   In the cupboard I have a small pie plate, should make some pastry, and make one.  I do make a lovely pastry, it's a "no fail" recipe that works for me every time.  My sister has never, I mean never made pastry, just cannot make it edible, have no idea what she does to it to make it so bad.  Do you make pastry or buy ready made?  Have a favorite recipe for it?

Our balcony is finally finished the awing is up, all the painting is done, just have to wait for the floor to dry for a couple of days and then we can put out our furniture and enjoy.  We used a textured paint on the floor, it had grains of fine sand in it, just love the way it looks.   It should last for quite a long time.  Now the garden centers are open I can go and get a couple of hanging baskets to put up there.

Also did some weeding in the flower garden, they seem to pop up overnight at this time of the year.

This weekend is a holiday weekend here in Canada, Victoria Day, the unofficial first day of Summer,  Usually all the camp grounds are open, and parks, and big displays of fireworks are put on by cities, towns and organizations, but not this year.  Families could buy fireworks for their own displays.  They are nice to look at, but I cannot justify the cost of them, and half the time they are duds.

stay safe, stay well.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure you will enjoy your deck over summer. Isn't it wonderful having garden centers open again, our's are too. I never buy fireworks because, like you, I cannot justify the cost, and so many duds!

    ReplyDelete

Signs

Many years ago, in the area where I live, there battles were fought between, the English and the French, English and U. S, Native people aga...