Tuesday, March 01, 2022

It must be almost Spring

 At least I hope it's almost Spring.  There are some tell tale signs, the squirrels are just running and climbing all around the property today.  So many of them it is difficult to count them.   The sparrows are trying to get into the bird houses which are designed for wrens.  There is a woodpecker hammering away in the trees opposite us and the air feels different.   So as I said before, I hope.

We got our groceries this morning, a lot of the items we usually buy were on sale so we stocked ip on them, the best before date is a lot later in the year so we should be alright for keeping them for a period of time.  Obviously, this made our bill quite high this time, however, in the long run we should save some money.

I was commenting to Hubby yesterday, even though we throw no food away, only the peelings, skins, pits and stone etc. we seem to have almost filled out compost container over the Winter, and that is just for the two of us.  I  wonder, 1st: ..how much does a larger family create, 2nd: does a larger family throw out food that could be compostable   3rd. do they even compost kitchen waste.   Our city does not have a compost pickup system, so if families are not doing any composting there must be a lot of things which could be eliminated from the landfill/garbage dump.    Do you compost your kitchen waste?  If not, where does your kitchen waste go?   Does your location pick up this waste?  

Sun and cloud today, and temp rose to 7*C, it is still cold due to the snow on the ground keep the breeze cold, making it a damp cold which seeps into your bones, well into my bones.

Have a peaceful day.


3 comments:

  1. You are warmer than us today, Pat. Yes, I do compost my kitchen scraps and it makes lovely compost. Garden clippings, grass, leaves etc. go in there too. Our city does have a "green bin" pickup but my bin is never full so it hardly ever goes out - I just use it for stuff that can't be composted. Where my daughter lives they are discouraged from having home composters as they attract vermin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a green bin fortnightly pick up which, I believe, will soon start taking food scraps as well. I have attempted composting but have never been successful. I think I will try one of those rotatable bins and see if that inspires me to try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again Pat. We have a compost pit at the back of the yard. Our municipality does pick up compostable materials, but my green bin went awol. I'm not paying almost fifty dollars for another one when we can do our own.
    I've noticed the chickadees song has changed. I saw my first bald eagle up close yesterday, which was exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Hoping it continues

 Good morning! We have sunshine again, three days in a row, and the temp is going up, just keeping the fingers crossed it will remain the sa...