Thursday, February 11, 2021

Mixed bag

 It is on noon hour and we have had all kinds of weather so far today, clouds, heavy snow at times and now lovely sunshine and blue skies and it is cold.

Due to the very cold temps and the snow we have had recently, I have not been going for my daily walk,  now feeling sluggish, however, don't want to go out and walk, even with my hiking poles, in case I slip and fall on the icy conditions.  Falling at my age and breaking a bone is not an option for me, so I will continue to feel sluggish instead of being in a cast or worse.

My post yesterday talked about being crafty, and recently I was looking through some old documents and found an old report card of mine.  It was written by my teacher at the time of was 12 years old.  This report card was to be given to my new teacher when I started going to school here in Canada,  Don't know why I still have but that teacher must have given it back to me.  Looking at it I appeared to be an average student in most subjects, but one stood out.   Art.  The report showed that I was not very good at this and the words implied I would never be.  To be honest, I am not an artist as such, drawing with pencil and pen and painting are not strong points of mine, I guess you could say I have no talent for that kind of art at all.  However, not all art is done with those mediums, I use fabric, thread, stitches and many other things.  I would love to go back to that teacher in England and show her just what I have done and still doing.  I hope she would change the grade I received on that report card.  The lesson I have learned and I am sure others have done also, is that, even if you are told you are no good at  doing Art, or anything, in a certain way, there is always other ways you can excel in what you do. 

I made this wall hanging several years ago.  The fabric came from Walmart, have no idea why I bought it, however, I cut it into squares and reconstructed it into the basic picture of sunflowers.  Machine stitched the petals and added beads, lots of beads for the centers.  It then needed something else so I used voile and burned the edges so it would not fray and added the pale purple flowers.  Some embroidery, a lady bug and hand quilting and it was finished.  This still hangs in my sewing room.


My eldest daughter like elephants, so when I had made this one she wanted it.  Again the background fabric came from Walmart, it reminded me of a sunset.  Now, I confess, the elephants I copied from a book, and the large ones ears are padded so they look 3D, it does not show in the picture.  She still has this one hanging in her home.

Dinner.. Ham, beans, cheese biscuits and salad.  Still have two helpings of  chocolate mousse left, so dessert all taken care of.






1 comment:

  1. You are a quilting extraordinaire, Pat!!! I am in awe! Absolutely gorgeous! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Signs

Many years ago, in the area where I live, there battles were fought between, the English and the French, English and U. S, Native people aga...