Thursday, October 12, 2023

Smells

 The weather was dry and cool yesterday, so decided I should get back into my routine of a daily walk, which I have been neglecting this last little while.  I have been busy with getting settled and now finally think I have got there, well almost.

Dressed for the weather I did an hours walk along the paved path beside where I live,  This path leads to one of the city's lovely parks, so set my course for that destination, and wasn't disappointed even though at this time of the year it is almost deserted.  There were people, like me, out for a walk, but, none of the other activities as there were a couple of months ago.  Most of the flower beds have now been cleared of the flowers planted for the Summer. and  I saw picnic tables being loaded into a truck to be taken to a storage facility for the Winter.   A season change is happening in earnest, as we could get some colder weather at any time, on the other hand we could be lucky enough to have some sunny warm days  before Old Man Winter brings snow.  

During the rains and winds of the past few days a lot of the leaves have fallen fast and now lay on the ground decomposing.  I love the smell of Autumn, it is hard to describe as it has a smell all of its own.  Burning leaves is against the law now but, all the air needed yesterday was the smell of a bonfire of burning leaves with the smoke curling up into the air.  There are still trees loaded with green leaves which have yet to turn colour, if they ever will,  so it appears I will still have some Autumn smells during my walks for some time yet.   

The wheels are now in motion for my new car, I don't know what I would have done without the help of my son, he is doing everything that needs to be done, well, almost, I am still paying for it. 

The heat was turned on in the building yesterday,  I have control of the temperature in my apartment which is nice as some of the apartment buildings I have been in have a central heating system with no individual controls and feel  just like you are in a furnace and the windows are open to make it cooler.  Such a waste.   

All the clouds we have had during the past few days have cleared and today we have a nice sunny day, the temp is only 8*C at the present time, but this afternoon it should reach 15*C, but with the sunshine it might feel a bit warmer.  I need to pick up a few things at the grocery store, so better get a move on.

Have a great day.


Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing like a northern hemisphere autumn. It's funny - your temps and ours are the same!

    ReplyDelete

Signs

Many years ago, in the area where I live, there battles were fought between, the English and the French, English and U. S, Native people aga...