Saturday, October 14, 2023

Friday 13th and buzzing

 Yesterday, was the 13th and a Friday, I am not superstitious, nothing terrible happened to me, and I survived to live another day.

A small fishing port on Lake Erie some distance from where I live, is always the place where motor cyclists go for a get together (that is putting it mildly)  on every Friday 13th.  Some years ago a couple of cyclists got together on a Friday 13th in this port and since then it has grown to be a place where you have to go, at least once if you are a biker.  So when the weather is perfect and sometimes not so perfect, the bikers go  for a ride on this day.  On a Summer 13th day, there are thousands and thousands of bikers there and bike enthusiasts having a great time.  It attracts the good, bad and the ugly of the biking community, dressed in a wide array of gear or in some cases the lack of any of what I would call clothing.  Yesterday, was not a great day for a ride, cold and wet, however, some die hard bikers showed up, as it was shown on the local news last night.

Buzzing:  No not bees.  The land where the building I live in is where a well known school for girls was situated.   Some time ago it closed down and was not maintained, fell into ruin and eventually transient homeless people occupied it.  Unfortunately, it burnt to the ground due to these people lighting fires in it to cook and keep warm.   Fast forward to now, there is "my" building and at the present time another is in the process of being built where the school was.  Today, is the day for the cement to be poured for the foundation.  There has been at least nine trucks coming and going since 7:00 a.m. as I write it is 11:40 a.m. and they are still lined to unload.   Three big long pipes suck the cement out of the trucks (at least, I think that is how it works) and deposit it where it is being directed by a hive a workers.  They look like bees as they are wearing safety coats with yellow all over them, black pants and of course, their hard hats.  The engines of the trucks, the rotation of the cement containers  and the big pipes are all making a noise which sounds like a huge hive of bees.   I have a vivid imagination. 

It is a typical Autumn day, cloudy, damp with a temp of 10*C, the forecast is for high winds later today, so that will bring down more leaves.  We still have not had a frost, which is quite unusual for being the middle of October.  We will likely skip that and go right into snowy weather.

Was busy Thursday and Friday, so do not have much on my calendar to do today, I will be making a pot of squash soup this afternoon and I do need to prepare everything I will be taking to a sewing day with my quilting group on Monday.  That should keep me out of mischief for a little while.

Have a great day.


Cheers. 

1 comment:

Signs

Many years ago, in the area where I live, there battles were fought between, the English and the French, English and U. S, Native people aga...