Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Dentist

I am very fortunate to have good teeth, I am 78 years old and have only lost two molars, and also have dental coverage that pays 80% of the bill, for most procedures.  Back in May I had an appointment for a cleaning, of course  was not able to go for that appointment.  Received a call to go yesterday, over the phone I was a asked a number of questions about my health.  Had to wear a mask upon entering the door, and again asked those same questions and had to sign a document, to confirm I was not ill.  Then was required to swish a mouth wash in my mouth for a full 60 seconds.  Do you know how long that time is when you have a mouth full of liquid that cannot be swallowed or spat out?  It is a long time. 

By this time I am in the chair and the hygienist excuses herself and goes into the next room, and was gone for a couple of minutes.  Through the door she says "I hope I am not going to scare you?"  I didn't know what to expect.  When she came through the door I thought I was in a scientific horror movie. She was wearing a long green gown from neck to her toes, it looked more like an army tent that had lost it cammo paint.  On her face she wore a surgical mask and a pair on goggles, so now she looks more like Kermit the frog.  On top of all that she was wearing a clear plastic face shield.  Now, I know I AM in that horror movie, because she was also carry a tray of sterilized instruments to use to work on me.  My flight or fight mode was over come by my laughter.  

After an hour and a half I was done, however, that was only the bottom of my mouth done, I had to go back again today for the top.  Now, I do brush my teeth and have taken very good care of them over the years, so how come they got that bad in two extra months of not being attended to?  The bill yesterday was a bit over the top I thought, but a bit lower today. I asked the hygienist who did the work on me today, if all dentists have a price schedule which is used to invoice patients.  Yes, they do, she said, however, some dentists charge extra.  Ha Ha, just as I thought, but who am I to question the cost I cannot prove anything.  As I said previously my coverage by 80%, so glad as these two invoices would have put a dent in my purse. The only consolation, its all a lot cheaper and a whole lot more comfortable that dentures. 

I know I am making light of this whole experience, but I also know people in the health care field, also need to take all the precautions that are necessary in these troubling times.  I am grateful that I am able to have the care I need and all of the PPE's are in place to keep them and me safe.

So that has been my adventures for two days.  

Have a great day, and stay well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hoping it continues

 Good morning! We have sunshine again, three days in a row, and the temp is going up, just keeping the fingers crossed it will remain the sa...