Monday, August 02, 2021

Wonderful weekend

I can't begin to tell you everything about the weekend, we had such a great time.

Started off Friday morning, we had a long drive, 8 plus hours to get to our destination hotel.   The weather was great and we decided not to take the freeway, thus the long time frame, but that was OK with us.  I understood from my daughter the traffic was the heaviest they have ever seen on the freeways they took.  It is a holiday weekend here in Canada, and being the first one people can get out and really do something a great number of people took advantage of it.  We arrived safe and sound, found a place open for a quick meal and settled in for the night at the hotel.

Saturday morning, was cool but sunny, I bought fruit trays for our contribution to the dinner table, easy for me to do, as nothing would have survived the journey.   Had a great time visiting with all the families and girls that we had not seen for five years.  All of the girls have now became beautiful young ladies, three of them bringing boyfriends.   Snacks, drinks, conversation, photos, games filled the afternoon.  Dinner: chicken and beef shish kabobs, salads and corn on the cob.  Cake, fruit, cookies and tarts for dessert.   As the evening drew in, some of the girls who brought their bathing suits opted to go in the hot tub.  Later a fire was started in the fire pit and everyone sat around enjoying more conversation, the heat from the fire or just sitting mesmerized by the colours of the flames.  I love watching the flames in an outdoor fire.   Later, smores were made, where the host got the marshmallows I don't know, they were huge.   

So proud of these two granddaughters,  on the left K, 23 years old and will be studying for her Masters in Biology in September. C on the right, 19 years, two pilot licenses all ready and will be studying for her commercial pilots license in September. 

After lots of hugs, (everyone had had both vaccines), it was time to say goodbye for another year, hopefully at the 23rd reunion in 2022, we will be able to go.  

Sunday morning, it was cloudy and an overnight rain had left puddles on the parking lot of the hotel.   We started on our homeward journey,  running in and out of light showers most of the way home.   We arrived safe and sound.  It is nice to get away, but also to come home again.

We were a little  apprehensive about the toilet issue, as we did not know the situation with regards to restaurants being open, so that we could use the facilities when needed.   The situation worked out well as we had no problems in that regard.  

Monday, woke to a nice sunny day, for which I was thankful.   Mid morning we went to my grandson and his wife's house to visit with them and my great granddaughter A, as I had a very belated 2nd  birthday gift for her.  We sat on their deck for a couple of hours visiting, and A loved her book and dresses.   

Home for lunch.  My second eldest granddaughter and her husband, came over for a visit as I had three belated birthday gifts for a great grandson 5th b-day and two great granddaughters. 9th and 4th b-days.  They have a very very small backyard, so they came here to play in ours for an hour.  They had snacks and drinks, opened gifts and then we went for a walk in the field and woods opposite our house and we picked bouquets of wild flowers, looks real close to all the bugs we saw.   Back to the house for ice cream and then they were on the way home.

We had a great visit with them, where do all these kids get their energy, believe me, I was tired just looking at them running and have fun.  

Tomorrow, is grocery day, and I also need to get caught up on some housework.  I feel rejuvenated, I have seen and talked to people,  away from the four walls of home, don't get me wrong I love my home, but once in awhile I need to get out and about.  Now I am ready to get myself moving again.  Such a small thing, but it did big things for me.

My tomato plants and hanging baskets survived, due to the cooler temps, cloudy skies and a little rain, so happy about that.  A fairly large container of cherry tomatoes were picked today and we had them in our salad at dinner tonight.   So sweet and flavourful right off the vine, cannot beat a veg that has been eaten about an hour from picking.  

Well that is all from me at 9:35 p.m. Monday night,  up bright and early tomorrow when I will chat with all of you again.

So goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. How blessed to have children, grand children and their friends and great grand children and so many birthdays to celebrate. To visit and see how much they have grown and achieved, while at the same time wondering how the years have flown by so quickly. Five years is such a long time and 8 hours is a long journey, I am glad both of you made it safely for the visit. I agree that eating produce fresh from the plant taste so much sweeter, my tomato plants are a failure but my fresh ginger tastes hot, spicy and biting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time spent with family is especially terrific after the long absences enforced by COVID. Lovely grandchildren you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pat, I can "hear" the happiness in your voice. It sounds like you had a truly spectacular weekend, my dear! Lots of family togetherness which is so so nice. I'm sure the "good feeling" will stay with you for a long time. Good for you! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Hoping it continues

 Good morning! We have sunshine again, three days in a row, and the temp is going up, just keeping the fingers crossed it will remain the sa...