Monday, May 15, 2023

Weekend trip

 Yesterday was Mother's Day here in Canada,  my DD2 and S I L were going to visit their eldest daughter in Ottawa and asked me to join them for Mother's day.  We left Friday afternoon for a 7 hour drive, roads were heavy with traffic but no hold ups which was nice.   Pizza for dinner,

On Saturday, it was decided to go and see the Tulip Festival which is held every year in Ottawa.  The tulips are always sent from Holland by the royal family to carry on the tradition set by  Princess Juliana.  During the second world war the princess and her family were evacuated to Canada when Germany invaded the Netherlands.  In appreciation of the help Canada gave her family, the Princess who eventually became Queen, has donated tulips to Canada every year.   Each Spring the tulips planted in the Autumn bloom in the park we visited.   I have pictures which I will post later.

After viewing the tulips, we went to Chinatown for dinner, the meal was delicious, so much food all washed down with green tea.

The parking situation where the park and Chinatown are located leaves a lot to be desired, so we walked everywhere we went, we did a total of 10 1/2 kms during the day, surprisingly I did not feel stiff or sore the following morning, so the daily walks I have been doing must have helped.  Not bad for an 81 year old!

Today, I had my winter snow tires removed and summer ones installed and an oil change, so should be good for a few months.   Then I cleaned the inside and the outside of my car.  The windows were covered in yellow pollen from the trees, it was so thick I could hardly see out the back window with the sun shining on it.

Now just taking it easy writing to you.

I had a wonderful weekend with my family, the sun shone every day and it was warm what more could a person want.  

Have a great day,

Cheers.

 

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely weekend. I still smile at you having a summer and winter wardrobe for your car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear how well your weekend turned out. A lot of travelling but obviously you were up to it! The tulips must have been a wonderful sight. Good for you for managing all the walking!

    ReplyDelete

Signs

Many years ago, in the area where I live, there battles were fought between, the English and the French, English and U. S, Native people aga...