Sunday, December 17, 2023

T'is the season

  All the prep for the season must be taking place in a lot of homes right now,  me, just doing a little for the big day.  It certainly is not like it use to be, much too commercialized, which takes away from the meaning of the season. 

Seasonal music has been playing on the radio station I listen to since November 16th.  It's now turned off, one gets a bit tired of listening to all of the songs being recorded by the new artists (I call them artists for the sake of a better word), half of the carols and songs one cannot recognize as they have been jazzed up or are accompanied by a new tune.  I prefer the way they were first recorded.

It was such a beautiful day yesterday and also the day before, no one would know it is December.  Temps in the low double digits, 10 - 12*C for the high of the day and wall to wall sunshine, and beautiful sunsets.  A memory came up on my facebook from eight yeas ago and the ex was clearing a lot of snow from his driveway, certainly a bit different now.  It appears we will have a green Christmas, as it is raining today, however, the forecast is indicating more sunshine mid week.

Our quilting guild is making quilts for an organization helping the homeless, so I helped to hand sew on the bindings one day this past week.  Then visited with an ill friend, she was looking well, up and out of bed and expecting other visitors, so it was a short visit.  I will go again sometime this coming week.

On my late hubby's birthday in May and again at this time of the year I take a small spray of artificial  flowers to place in the vase on the columbarium. I did that yesterday.  I also replaced the saddle that goes on my Mum and Dad's grave with seasonal artificial flowers and greenery.  Again, I do this in December and again sometime in the Spring.   Then went on to my sister's for a quick visit and give her a gift.  Driving to my parents grave and my sister's home is almost an hour each way, did not mind the trip due to the nice weather.  The country roads are not a good place to be in the Winter so, I don't usually visit sister B when the snow and ice is on the ground.  

Started baking some shortbread cookies yesterday.  I only did half the recipe as it makes a lot of cookies.  I will finish them off with a bit of icing tomorrow.

My sewing machine has not been working as the way it should, so took it in for a maintenance checkup.  Not a good time to have this happen as I am still doing some sewing for some gifts.  I do have another machine I am using, it is as old as the hills but is doing the job at the present.  

While in the stores yesterday, I saw Valentine merchandise on a shelf, lets get Christmas and New Years over with first, shall we.

Not sure what is on my to do list today, some sewing will certainly be done and was thinking of going to a church down the street to listen to the candle light performance of carols being sung by the choir.  I do not go to church and not religious but, I do like to hear the carols sung properly at this time of the year.  

A slow start to the day, still in my housecoat, finish this and get a shower and then get moving.

Have a great day


Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signs

Many years ago, in the area where I live, there battles were fought between, the English and the French, English and U. S, Native people aga...